Monday 30 June 2008

Garrapiñadas y Matambre


Alejandro and I had a day of eating and drinking coffee today (Sabado). I took him to the Gallego Bar in Palermo. The photo below is of some street art along Honduras Calle just along from the Gallego Bar. Yum! Tried new food - Garrapiñadas are sweet peanuts that have been roasted and covered in the most delicious sweet coating. You can get almonds like it as well. Mmmm very delish. We went to Plaza Francia to get some last minute gifts for family and he bought me a sandwich for lunch which is called matambre - a cold meat. The word matambre means to "kill the hunger", which it certainly did...it was mas grande! The photo is of Alejandro at the stand buying the garrapiñadas.
On Saturday night, we went to Chinatown - so many Chinese restaurants in three blocks. Chinese food is the same the world over - I had roast pork fried rice - when it came out, honestly there was so much and only 12 pesos (about (NZD$5). Eating out here is very inexpensive. I think I have probably only cooked twice - why would I cook when there is so much delicious food to try. My favourite food was locro - a traditional soup, but now Lenteja (lentil based kind of stew) has become my favourite. It is 'que lindo'. It has a little meat (very tender beef), vegetables and the lentils all mixed together with a sauce that I cant describe. I will have to learn how to make it.

No comments: