Monday 5 May 2008

Are You Lonesome Tonight?



Not - Fat chance of that happening. I move into an apartment this week - completely furnished and on the first floor, but sorry to say tiene no gato - no gato could replace my lovely Fergus anyway. This will be an interesting experience for me as I never in my whole life been by myself for any length of time. There is so much to do in BA and it seems that it really comes alive at night time. I am going to be living in Recoleta - about three blocks from Colegio San Miguel where I work, and about 10 blocks from the school where I will attend espanol language classes in the afternoons. So everything is nice and close. The subte (underground) is very close also so I have quick access to public transport when I need it as well. Its only about a half hour walk into the city centre so I am set. Mis amigos - I will email you all the address so you know where to send presents or at least where you may come and visit. I will take a couple of photos of the apartment for my next posting, and of the view - and of the lift - lifts in apartment buildings (actually not just apartment buildings - its everywhere), here are not like lifts in NZ, they are the old fashioned ones that you need to open the grill-like doors yourself - they are like a cage and so you can see everything on the outside of the lift as you go up and down. I discovered that the doors are not automatic after waiting for what seemed like an eternity for the lift to arrive - in the end the security man came over, smiled very nicely to me (probably thinking 'tonto' (idiot)) and opened the doors for me.
Last night I was down at the local rugby club (Los Toros - I think I may have mentioned them before - if you would like to hark back to the haka incident) and would you believe it - next week they are playing against a visiting team from Aotearoa (Auckland, but we wont hold that against them) called the Dandelions. Apparently they are a team that you can only join by invitation, so the team here are really hoping that there might be some ex All Blacks to play against.
The photos above are of a llama (pronounced shama) and the floralis generica which is a monument to all flores. The amazing thing about this monument is that it opens to sun and closes at night time - pretty cool!

1 comment:

Zena Taylor said...

Well well - mucho news Chicky! So excited to catch up with it all as I couldn't get access to your blog during the holidays. Am very envious of all the great experiences you are having!You are finding your feet for sure. We are keeping up the coffee group in your honour xxx. How cool was that link Simon sent you. You obviously have a well trained nose for a good coffee - must be all that practice we've had. Adios Senora xxxxoooo