Friday 23 May 2008

La Boca and Football




This barrio is probably best known for its football team, Boca Juniors, for whom the legendary Diego Maradona played. As it happened he was there when I was - charging 10-20 pesos for a photograph of yourself with him. Well I managed to get a picture of the back end of him. If you look carefully at the photo he is in the bottom right corner wearing his light blue and white striped (Argentinian colours of course) Football shirt with a no. 10 on his back. He has a person walking in front of him and behind him most of the time so you cant sneak a picture...except for me that is. It was quite by accident cos I was taking a picture of the buidlings and didnt even know he was there.

I went and looked at the stadium where the games are played - it is impressive - I would love to go to a game there. There is a picture of the outside of the stadium - the story behine why the team wears blue and yellow goes like this...they were playing a game against another team - River Plate I think - who also had the same colours. It was decided that whoever lost the game would have to change their colours. Well, Boca lost and they decided that the colours of the flag of the next ship that came into port would be their new colours - it was a Swedish ship.

The third photo is of some local lads playing football - one of them may be the next Diego.
The last picture is just some graffiti - i found the message interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roxy and I enjoying reading this. Love Mum