Sunday 20 April 2008

A Day out with Hilal





Spent a lovely afternoon with Hilal yesterday. We pounded pavement for about 3 hours - Hilal in her heels :(

We had coffee at El Gato Negro (The Black Cat) - established in 1668 or some other date a very very long time ago. The building is now historically protected. Here is a lovely photo of Hilal looking very ladylike. We had coffee coffee from costa rica and two lovely medialunas.
Porteno's pride themselves on their literacy and there are literally hundreds of bookshops (probably thousands) all over Buenos Aires. This photo is taken in one of them. There are old books, new books, any sort of book you could possible want. There are many books about Che Guevara.
We looked at some very old buildings (photo included above). The buildings are very beautiful but I imagine living in them might be a bit drafty. They also have very little light because as the buildings are all joined together on the sides, they can only have windows at the front and back.
The next two photos are taken inside a very old and beautiful building that is now a four level shopping mall. Chicky's you would be very proud of me....there are soooo many scarf, hat, earring and acccessory places here - but I have not yet succumbed to temptation. Actually I tell a lie - I did buy one nice little pair of earrings but the day after I bought them a lost one down the plug hole while I was showering - not impressed!! I have to remember that I am here for a year and I dont need to rush into buying everything I like - because apart from anything else how will I get it all home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you have as yet not completed your shopping qualifications in Argentina. Plenty of time yet. Some awesome buildings. I look forward to seeing. Love
Simon

Mocha Fiesta said...

I'm looking forward to you seing them too - I'm looking forward to showing you xo