Wednesday 16 April 2008

Gastronomic Delight

I have found the best coffee maker in the world (certainly in Argentina) - a little old man in the El Bar Gallego (actually two little old men) . I have to say to my fellow coffee chicks...I think the coffee might be better than Jacks and that is saying something. The Gallego Bar is in Palermo which is extraordinarily pretty and green...it has wide cobbled avenues with balconies overflowing with flowers. The Gallego bar by contrast is down a side street, is fairly untidy (bordering on dirty) but the coffee and the style of the bar came highly recommended by Jose and I have to say he is right...who cares about a little bit of dirt if the coffee is good right. Has anyone seen "the bucket list" a film with Jack Nicholson? Please dont tell me the coffee has the same origins as the coffee on the film - something to do with dog poo additive!! I shall try and post a photo of the bar - I am having problems uploading photos, but I shall do my best. Because of this brilliant 'find', my daily routine is going to change. Instead of catching the subte (subway) from Palermo to Recoleta, which is about 6 stations away, I am going to walk to work so I can linger every morning and experience the delight of this very fine coffee, and yarn to the 'little old man' who is very happy for me to practice my espanol on him. Oh I forgot, another gastronomic delight here is the medialunas that come with the coffee mmmmmmm, I'll have to be careful not to go back home twice the size that I left.And, empanadas ... finger licking good!

2 comments:

Mocha Fiesta said...

1 - I'm afraid the coffee chicks have defected doll!! We decided to give Hydro another chance for a change and we were pleasantly surprised. Coffee was good and the muffins were yummy. No doubt we'll have have moved on from there by the time you join us again, we may even be back at Jacks. CT (Comment this)

Written by: CT at 2008/04/13 - 12:39:04

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine! I just received your mail of the Maori story and I wanted to check out your Blog and I gotta tell ya' that is very well stuffed!
I don't know anything about this place you discribed so if you go back there, could you please tell me the street where it's located?
I'm agree with your opinion of the medialunas (should I call them "halfmoons") because although I live in Argentina I still love them (specially in the morning, while having breakfast).

Well Lorraine, I should be saying good bye for now 'cause I have to study for tomorrow's lesson =S

Soon I'll be posting more comments. No doubt about that!!