Wednesday 16 April 2008

First Impressions

Argentina is such a vast country....flying over it seemed to take almost as long as actually seeing land after all that ocean. Unfortunately I was having a zzzzz when we flew over the Andes. The south of Argentina was very very brown with some beautiful lakes dotted around, the it quite quickly changed to being green as we approached Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires is massive - 14,000,000 people.
The poverty here is very obvious. The roads are in ¨not such good knick¨ with holes everywhere, not just little ones...these ones you could lose a cow in. The drivers are mad...there are no painted lanes on the road so consequently people drive all over the road and just stop when they feel the urge causing mucho blaring of horns and shouting. The taxi I was in to come to my host family didnt know how to read the speed limit sigh that said minimum 50 maximum 100 because he was hooning along at 135 :( The most interesting site last night was a man riding along on his smallish motorcycle with his family of four children squashed in front and behind him, all the while dodging the potholes and none with helmets on. I didn't have my camera at the ready but here is another photo that I took when I did have my camera - at least one of them is wearing a helmet.
My host family are lovely and the people are very friendly. This morning I visited the school where I will start work tomorrow - Colegio San Miguel - a private Catholic school in the barrio of Ricoletta...miles from where I am staying. School facilities are very different to modern NZ schools. The admin block in this school is one room not even the size of our Student Centre with three desks squeezed in and very dreary - but they are happy.
I am feeling muy muy homesick - missing everyone I love. I think that once I have my mobile sorted (hopefully tomorrow) and skype up and running that this feeling will improve. Its also difficult hearing very little English and having to concentrate so hard on understanding and being understood.

1 comment:

Mocha Fiesta said...

1 - it could have been wurse.I hear now that Tibet is cheep place to go to.its all mucho fantascico and eggcitin.xx (Comment this)
Written by: Celtic at 2008/03/19 - 18:50:37

2 - Wow, Buenos Aires, that's great!I htought you were already gone. I hope the last days in NZ won't be too stressful for you and you can enjoy a last-for-a-while-dinner with your kids and friends! Have a safe trip! (Comment this)
Written by: Yvonne from Germany at 2008/03/19 - 23:20:04

3 - At last, really pleased for you. Weather looks great so you don't need your woolly knickers only gets down to 7 degrees in winter. Enjoy you Easter. hopefully catch you before you go. (Comment this)
Written by: PB at 2008/03/20 - 08:34:31

4 - Good luck Lorraine. Have a ball and don't think of us slaving away here!Ian (Comment this)
Written by: Ian at 2008/03/20 - 16:34:06

5 - And I will try again :-) All the best and thanks for a "smashing" week. (Comment this)
Written by: Lyn at 2008/03/20 - 17:49:17

6 - Hi there - trying this again. Sad having our last coffee today but how exciting that the departure date is nearly here. We will give you regular updates during the year xx Love Zena (Comment this)
Written by: Z at 2008/03/23 - 01:53:51

7 - Tena KoeHope all is going well where you are. Easter will be different? maybe... hope you had a good flight and didn't watch too many movies. I guess you will be Jet lagged and culture shocked for the first two or three days. However, most importantly... what's the coffee like? (Comment this)
Written by: PB at 2008/03/28 - 08:44:27

8 - Wow - mucho interesting news!! I can just picture what you're experiencing. Those ants should be chocolate coated and sold ha ha. They sound revolting. So you won't be eating mucho steak OR veges! How do you get to your school and how long does it take? What's the coffee availability like with all this farmer/political drama? Anyway Fran says hi - she's coming for coffee on Sat (she can be your sub.) Take care lotsa love Z xx (Comment this)
Written by: Z at 2008/04/02 - 20:14:16

9 - Hi Lorraine, I miss you. Great to talk to you on Skype. Good to hear that you are settling in well. Lots of Love Simon x0x0x0x (Comment this)
Written by: nomis at 2008/04/11 - 18:22:52

10 - I was thinking of you when I watched the Olympic flame going through Buenos Aires on the news tonight. It didn't actually show much except people trying to douse it with water bombs ha ha (that could've been footage from elsewhwre.) I'm with you - China should not be hosting. The Olympics are a sham anyway. Loving your blog - I want to have a coffee with you over there! That sounds like the real thing.Miss you Z xx (Comment this)
Written by: Z at 2008/04/13 - 00:09:41