Wednesday 16 April 2008

Rugby Sevens - Argentine Style







This is how you distract the other team and keep their mind off their game - see the dancing girls, and it was a freezing cold day:
I had the pleasure of spending Sunday at a Sevens Tournament. It was fun but extremely freezing. Winter has arrived with a vengeance in Argentina. It has gone from singlet weather on Friday to 563 woollie layers weather by Saturday.
In the evening (they call it the afternoon but to me 6pm is definitely getting on to evening time) on Sunday I went to watch Jose's team play. The club is Los Toros (The Bulls) ands they were playing a team that had two ex puma's in it. Of course I had to have my photo taken with one of them - he had even been and toured NZ as a Puma and played in Hamilton.
I was given a present (regalo) by the club, simply because I come from the Land of the All Blacks, but wait for it, I had to perform the haka - haha haha - I couldn't even pretend to know the words and actions because believe me they ALL know it over here. It was really funny, and besides I had had nowhere near enough Quilmes to drink to do a good job of it.
The day concluded with an asado put on by the club - now the argentinians really know how to BBQ - this was something else, and of course dancing - and thats another thing, Argentinian men are not afraid to dance. An excellent day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lorraine,

I had loved to watch you performing the haka! But you sound like you feel not so homesick anymore which is great to hear! I hope you can collect lots of good impressions and experiences. But no matter how good the Argentinian coffee might be, I do not believe that it is better than the Saturday morning coffee with your friends in NZ, including a nice little raspberry muffin with cream!

Greetingx from Germany,
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine,
So good to see you are enjoying yourself. I'm sure that one of those pumas is Zorro. We are all well here, missing you of course. When are you getting the cheerleading gear like the other sevens supporters (ha ha). Will l;ook forward to seeing more of you on your blog
Livvey and Anne-Marie and co

nellie stowers said...

that would have been a sight, you doing the haka!!
Love Nellie

Mocha Fiesta said...

Believe it was a sight to behold :)
good to hear from you Nellie